Wednesday, June 30, 2010

WEEK #4: SIMPLE SUBJECTS

First, I apologize for not posting by Tuesday. I was having some technical difficulties, but it is in the process of being fixed. Thank goodness! This week's activity involves simple subjects. This is the noun on which the sentence focuses. An example would be the following: The boy ran for a touchdown. The simple subject is "boy." He is the focus of the action "ran." Remember that most of the time the simple subject comes before the verb but sometimes, as in a question, it comes after the verb or a part of the verb. Don't forget that some imperative sentences don't have a simple subject written in the sentence but it is understood to be "you" since the order is given to "you." Now give these a try. Each is worth .2 X 15 = 3 points.

1. My roof is being fixed from the storm.
2. That car broke down on the side of the road.
3. Hannah sang beautifully at her recital.
4. Did Barbara tell you about the party on Saturday?
5. I hope that you win the lottery someday.
6. Her airplane was delayed an hour.
7. Go to bed now!
8. Because I listened to that song so many times, it is in my head all day.
9. If you take an umbrella, you will be safe from the rain.
10. She borrowed my favorite outfit for her vacation.
11. Please stop talking and listen.
12. Those flowers in your garden are blooming so beautifully.
13. What time does the movie start?
14. After dinner, they decided to go shopping.
15. Please watch your little brother while I'm gone.