Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Week #3: Homophones

I would like to thank Austin for giving me the idea for homophones. Homophones are words that sound alike but are spelled differently. Fill in each of  the following sentences with one of the homophones below. This activity is worth 3 bonus points, making each worth .25 points.
1. I was shocked when the (principal / principle) gave us an extra recess.
2. Since he was the sole (heir / air) to the family's estate, he inherited a mansion.
3. Without my morning (serial / cereal) I am grouchy by nine.
4. Instead of adding (flour / flower) to the batter, he added cornstarch. What a big mistake!
5. If you don't (know / no) a definition, you can always look it up in a dictionary.
6. He sat (idol / idle) for so long, he started to doze off on the bench.
7. While I was trying to (pore / pour) the lemonade into the cups, I spilled it on the floor.
8. After the garage sale, we counted a (profit / prophet) of two hundred dollars.
9. I wanted to write a thank you letter on nice (stationary / stationery), but I could only find loose leaf paper.
10. The devoted fans (waited / weighted) in line for their One Direction tickets.
11. That GPS system came in handy when we didn't know (where / wear) to turn for your house.
12. Because of the surgery, Mark's muscles were (weak / week), and he needed some intense rehabilitation.